So you’ve made the decision and you want a retractable screen. Now the hard part… Which brand of retractable screen? And which company? There are several things to consider:
- The overall quality of the screen door
- Ease of use/Safety
- Professional installation or DIY?
The Home Depot, Lowe’s and other big box DIYs are all pretty identical. That is to say, not so good. If you’re combing the web hoping to find a happy review of an ODL, Stoett, or other do-it-yourself, don’t fool yourself. Call Home Depot or Lowes, and talk to the special order desk. Ask them how many get returned and it will scare you. The truth is, retractable screens are not inexpensive, and you do get what you pay for.
Retractable Screens Quality
When it comes to quality there are four brands that make the cut. Don’t waste your time with Reel, Casper, Vanishing, Dreamscreens, or any other brand except:
Phantom Screens, Wizard Screens, or Mirage Screens.
All of the above are heavy gauge, will hold up over time, and are professionally installed.
Better Retractable Screen Doors
There are only very subtle differences between a Mirage, Wizard, and Phantom Screen Door. All are made in Vancouver, Canada. All 3 are almost identical in thickness of Material. The main differences are:
- Mirage is powder coated, Phantom and Wizard Screens are not
- Phantom is available at Lowes so there is some added layer of buyer’s protection
- Wizard and Phantom offer a knock-off speed reducer (not recommended)
Mirage Retractable Screen Doors Reviewed
Mirage is a different animal of retractable. Representing the premium end of the market. They are typically priced 5-10% more than the rest, but offer several distinctive advantages from Wizard, Phantom Retractable Screens.
- Mirage is the only retractable screen that does not SNAP back and this is a very big deal.
- Mirage screen doors are available with SuperScreen. The strongest, longest lasting screen mesh in the world.
- Mirage screen doors can span larger openings
- They are powder coated
- They are much prettier to look at it. There has been meticulous attention given to detail and you will really appreciate it when you see it.
- Mirage is made in the USA!